History

Surbiton New Life Baptist Church was formed on Tuesday 15th June and held its first Sunday services on Sunday 11th July. Surbiton New Life was formed by the members of two Baptist churches in Surbiton. The members decided to unite as one church, so legally closed both Baptist churches and opened Surbiton New Life Baptist Church.

There has been a long and fruitful Baptist identity in Surbiton and you can read a brief history of the two previous churches below.

 

 

Surbiton Hill Baptist Church

Surbiton Hill Baptist Church (Oaklands) was built on land donated to Charles Haddon Spurgeon, by Jane Woodfall. Jane's wish was that the working people of the area should have the opportunity to hear the gospel of Jesus. The first sermon was preached in 1874 by Spurgeon himself.

 

 

Surbiton Baptist Church

Surbiton Baptist Church on Balaclava Rd was formed by a group from Oaklands in 1898. SBC was located in central Surbiton and had a thriving ministry, with many families being connected to the church. 

The two fellowships remained in close contact and several attempts were made to re-unite them over the years. Finally, in 2000 the two fellowships successfully began working together.

After ten years of working as two churches the members decided to close both churches and begin a new Baptist church in Surbiton, which was the birth of Surbiton New Life Baptist Church.

 

 

 

 

 

News
The Well Returns....
The Well returns for a new season on Sunday 17th September 2017, 4pm to 6pm at the Balaclava Road church.

2 September
Surbiton New Life Baptist Church welcomes its new administratorRead more...
16 June
Latest Tweets
Come and join us for the annual seaside trip. This year it's Littlehampton!! Saturday 24th June. Meet at 11am outsi… https://t.co/UOutgnimT8
127 days ago
RT @ymcalsw: Fun #tango classes every Tues at YMCA Surbiton, 2.30pm-4pm £5.40 payg @TIOTKingston @SurbitonNewLife @staywellcharity @surbit…
178 days ago